Thursday, October 16, 2008

Constructed Light


Finally, the last post on my visit to the Pulizter. In February, the Pulizter Foundation opened the first phase of their Dan Flavin light installations titled Constructed Light. From what I understand, this exhibit is unique in that Flavin is not here (having passed away in 1997) to supervise the installation of the light pieces. His work is usually highly specific to a particular space, so that is what makes this exhibit different from most others typically like this: (http://lucylucia.blogspot.com/2008/06/dan-flavin.html).

The Pulizter is only open to the public a couple of days a week, so it's not always the easiest thing to get over there. I had visited the exhibit a few months ago during the day, and found how the lights changed the space to be delightfull. I knew though, that the effect must be so much more dramatic at night. Thankfully the museum expanded their hours to include evening visits and I jumped at the chance to visit at night and photograph the lights.

How disappointed was I then, when a well meaning docent politely let me know that photographs are not allowed in the building? This, I find to be rather strict as both the Met and the MoMA in New York allow photography as long as the flash in turned off.


I was glad I was able to take a few photos before being informed of the embargo - and maybe just a couple of surreptitious ones after!

No comments: